Re: Fuel Cells

To: "clark" <clark@dnf.com>, <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Cells
From: "Jack Rubin" <jrubin@ryr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:22:04 -0600
I think you mean the foam _and bladder_, in which case, yes, this is the
common way to mount the cell.  Without the bladder, you wouldn't have much
but a regular gas tank with some foam in it!  But, assuming that the
foam-filled bladder is supported adequately, it is definitely the way to go,
regardless of vintage.

I replaced the gas tank in my '50 XK120 with a bladder suspended in an 18 ga
aluminum "box" and was very glad I did -- I lost the car in a big way coming
out of turn one at Road America a few years ago (not a slow corner) and
backed the car into the concrete wall on the inside of the track, bending
the frame behind the rear axle.  The stock tank would most probably have
been ruptured.

As far as I'm concerned, a fuel cell is just as important as belts, helmet
and rollbar.

Jack