Fuel Cells

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel Cells
From: clark <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:12:37 -0800
Hi All,

I had the opportunity to visit a fellow list member's shop today to examine
a car he's building.  One thing that intrigued me was his fuel cell.  He
had had a welder make essentially a box out of aluminum in which he had
inserted the Fuel Safe foam.  It seems so simple that it requires that I
ask a few naive questions:

First, what separates a "fuel cell" from a "fuel tank", by definition?

Second, is aluminum the best material?  What guage aluminum is common?  Is
steel not used only because of weight?  (Steel can be coated so it won't
rust.)

Third, the tops of the Fuel Safe appear to be screwed on, is this for easy
replacement of the foam, or ease of manufacture?

Fouth, how many vintage racers with cars '60 and prior run bladders in
their cells?

Last, are there mandatory fillers, vents, and fittings?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Clark

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html