Re: SSP#2 -S800 (com. interest)-3rd reply

To: FHammett@aol.com, dwilson@america.net, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SSP#2 -S800 (com. interest)-3rd reply
From: S800Racer <S800Racer@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:08:52 EST
Frank,
        I am relieved to hear you say that more crashes are a bad thing.  I did
not
mean to twist your words, but the context of your original posting made it
appear (at least to me) that you believed that crashes were an aspect of
vintage racing that could be used to promote the events to spectators.
        And why is everyone so fatalistic about poor judgement and crashes if
any
kind of award (medals, points) is involved?  Can't we strive to be a little
bit better than that?  Many of our cars are from the 50's and 60's, an era of
the gentleman driver.  Can't we take some pride in recreating that aspect of
the era that our cars came from?  Personnally I make an effort to do exactly
that.  Maybe I'm a sucker and I'm doomed to lose some races that way, but my
good reputation among my fellow racers is more important to me than winning.
I think most of us feel the same way.  I don't automatically accept that we
will all drown in a sea of red mist if awards are part of the picture.
        Any SVRA group 4 guys on this list?  I believe they have a very
competitive
season long points championship and they pride themselves on having very few
incidents.

        Doug Meis -- Team Escargot  "Rub shoulders, not fenders"