Re: SSP#2 -S800 (com. interest)-3rd reply

To: S800Racer@aol.com, dwilson@america.net, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SSP#2 -S800 (com. interest)-3rd reply
From: FHammett <FHammett@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 20:44:30 EST
Doug:

If your going to quote me please get the quote correct.  I did not say (as you
said I did) : "Spectators and prize money SHOULD encourage the participants to
drive harder and have even more crashes"

What I said was this "the crowds would come, and then you would find drivers
driving harder, and then you would find more crashes also.  "

It is easy to defeat another mans arguement if you make it for him.

This is my observation, and I think I has some truth.  Your inclusion of the
word Should implies I support crashes.  Of course that is not so. I was merely
pointing our one of the negatives that one should be aware of if vintage
racing is to be promoted.  In fact the last sentence warns that one should be
careful what they wish for, they may get it.

Also, my reference to the amount of crashes in Vintage is not an endorsement.
I race Club Fords in SCCA, and was supprise to see more crashes last year in
the vintage races in which I ran than in the SCCA ones.

I cannot agree with those who think competition is no involved in this sport,
at least not in the Formula Ford area.  Although everyone I have meet drives
within reason, many, I think most still feel the desire to finish has high as
possible, and drive accordingly.

Frank