Re: racing cortinas

To: ALFABYTE@aol.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: racing cortinas
From: MHKitchen <MHKitchen@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 11:38:29 EST
Rick;

I'll tell you all my secrets, but then I'll have to kill you....

Actually, no big secrets here....stock Cortina/Ford parts....

Front on my Mk1 Locort is GT (orange) front springs in the Locort mounts
(lowers the car about an 1".  These are "semi-soft".  I don't go for the
really stiff setup some others do...consequently, I get a fair amount of body
roll, but the car handles well....reasonably neutral (and lots of front wheel
lifting). KYB Capri gas-filled strut replacement cartridges (requires an
adapter, Cortina cartridges now longer available), 1" front sway bar (up from
7/8" stock).  Have a tower brace, slotted the top holes, and used Capri (Dave
Bean supplied) adjustable lower arm bolts to get 2 deg neg camber.

Rear is GT rear springs with the eyes reversed.  Leave the stock trailing arms
hooked up.  Some guys use the Locort rear springs with 1 or 2 leaves
removed....about the same...Very soft in the rear.  I've seen some guys take
the trailing arms off....not sure why?  Stock Koni rear shocks.  I tried a
Panhard rod on the rear, but it only worked on some tracks....now I just leave
it off...too much hassle putting it on and off.  Caused too much push
(understeer) in some corners.

There are some very rare (and FIA homologated) different front mounts for the
rear springs which lowers their attachment point (developed by Bob
Winkelmann).  I've also seen them on a few cars....also not sure if they help
or not.

Also, according to the FIA homologation on Locorts, you can run wheels up to 6
1/2" wide (up to 1" wider than stock 5 1/2").  Also homologated, but I've
NEVER seen them for real or in photos, are knock-off wire wheels for the
Locort!!

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128