RE: fatality at June Sprints

To: "'S800Racer@aol.com'" <S800Racer@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: fatality at June Sprints
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thrunet.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:50:02 -0500
Doug,=20

I co-drove a small bore car (Sprite) at the SVRA Road America race =
enduro this spring. We were grouped with the Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, =
etc.=20

I'm pretty fast through the Carousel at RA. I'm able to pass inside or  =
outside if there's room. Of course, from the exit of the carousel to the =
Kink, a small bore will beat no one. I always watch my mirrors. I'm wide =
open, 4th gear from the entry of the Carousel, through the Kink, all the =
way to Canada Corner. A Group 6 Camaro blew by me right at the point of =
last weekends fatality. I did not see him coming... did not expect it. =
If you're on the gas at this point, your car is very light, in a drift =
to the edge of the track. Once committed to speed (as opposed to lifting =
prior to entering the Kink), you have very few options. Because of the =
length of the Carousel, the angle of the Kink, slight elevation change, =
narrow track lined with concrete and Armco, heavy trees and foliage, =
etc.,  it is easy to be surprised either overtaking someone right after =
the kink or being overtaken.=20

This not an issue specific to SVRA, but rather our sport as a whole. At =
VSCDA IRP last fall, the small bore folks ran with Winston cup cars. I'm =
sure the Monoposto guys have horror stories to tell.=20

This tragic incident over the weekend which resulted in the loss of a =
fellow racer's life touched us all. I hope that we can learn something =
by careful study of the contributing factors. We may learn that it was =
unavoidable... those situations exist. I'm sure the Camaro driver will =
have to deal with the emotions of this incident for the rest of his =
life, as will the victims husband, who was a participant in the same =
race.=20

If you believe history repeats itself, (and as a student of history, I =
do), then we as vintage racers need to examine the path of our sport as =
it relates to the path taken by SCCA. I'm troubled by repeat offenders =
that seem to be involved in incidents every year, but never seem to be =
13/13'd. I'm not a fan of SVRA's new point system where you can work off =
assessed points by volunteering for an event. How does that improve =
someone's conduct?=20

There seems to be many avoidable incidents in vintage racing... a =
combination of inexperienced drivers that should never have been granted =
a license, and overly aggressive types that should forfeit theirs for an =
extended period of time.=20

Wm. Severin Thompson
Team Thicko