Re: Tow Vehicles

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicles
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:02:46 -0400 (EDT)
Let me put in a plug for the Chevy Tahoe.  I downsized from an '86 3/4 ton
Suburban w/454 (i.e. 6mpg towing) to a '96 Tahoe (also got rid of my everyday
car and use the Tahoe).  I got a lighter vehicle, more HP, and the same
torque as before.  The 4WD Tahoe tows up to 7000 lbs.  I also downsized from
a 26 ft. ProAm trailer (about 7,000 lbs loaded) to an 18 ft. Braco (now about
5,000 lbs loaded).  I get 10 mpg towing, and 15 mpg average around town, also
tows easily at 80 ( have a ticket to prove it!!).  It's comfortable,
luxurious, and rides better since I added the Monroe Sensatracs, and the
Airlift bags as recommended on this BBS.  Plus, it hauls 5 people comfortably
to dinner and still has plenty of storage in the rear.  Unloaded, its
reasonably quick for a barge, certainly the fastest drag racer of the sport
utes (maybe someday I'll find a spare ZR-1 motor to drop in it!!)

Things I'd like to see improved on it include:  stiffer/lower suspension
option, locking console or glove box, dead pedal, more contoured/supportive
seats, addition of automatic climate control, trip computer, and navigation
system (ala the Hertz Neverlost system....cool).  The downside of it has been
numerous trips to the dealer for warranty service.  So far, crankshaft
position sensor failure (left me dead on the road at only 1200 miles), new
master cylinder (old one leaking), new driver's seat track (old one loose,
seat rocked), leaking rear axle seals, pulsating brakes (rotors turned, still
pulsating...maybe the towing and the carbon kevlar pads are too much for
 it???), rear brakes pulsating, new drums.  A little disappointing, but I
have put 40,000 + miles on it in 12 months, so it has had a workout.  Maybe
this was a lot of service in 1 year, but it was also a lot useage.

In my work, I sometimes get to see new vehicles ahead of time.  I recently
saw the Dodge Durango up close.  It looks VERY PROMISING as a race tow
vehicle.  Physically smaller than a Tahoe, but bigger than an Explorer or
Cherokee.  Tows up to 7,000 lbs, like the Tahoe.  Has 3 row seating ( more
than the Tahoe), looks really mean in all black, and has lots of cupholders!!
 Cheaper than a Tahoe too, I think.  Could be a good replacement next year???

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk 1 #128 (currently undergoing engine rebuild)