Re: Vintage Formula Fords

To: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Subject: Re: Vintage Formula Fords
From: Jeff Young <jey@Adobe.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 15:24:28 -0800
Jeff --

I can answer some of these:

> 1.  What are the most competitive FFs to vintage race?  Are certain
> makes/models more competitive?
>
> 2.  Are vintage FFs reliable, or will I spend all my time fixing things?

Some are reliable, some are not.  I believe Merlins, Crossles, and Caldwells
fit into the
reliable camp.  Lotus' do not.  At least some Lolas (the "5th spring" models)
are on the
unreliable side.

> 3.  Are certain makes or models better handling?
>
> 4.  Do all FFs have Ford engines?

Yes.  All vintage cars are based on the Ford 1600 cross-flow Cortina motor.

> 5.  Are there certain separate requirements for the Monoposto Register?
>
> 6.  Who are some of the better FF mechanics that in the Midwest?
>
> 7.  Are replacement parts rare (ie. expensive)?

No.  But the people dealing in Lotus/Ford parts charge about 3 times what the
people
dealing in Cortina parts do (for the same part).

> 8.  What should I avoid, or watch out for, when I go shopping?
>
> 9.  Who should I talk to that is an "expert" on vintage racing FFs?

Don't know.  But you should buy a book that's called something along the lines
of: "The
Anatomy and Development of the Formula Ford".  You can get it through Classic
Motorbooks.

-- Jeff Young
'75 Zink Z10 FF, '65 Ginetta G4