Vintage Formula Fords

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage Formula Fords
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 21:47:03 -0800
Dear Fellow Vintage Racers,

It's cold and winter here in Northwest Ohio and I'm just sitting around,
trying to keep warm and thinking of vintage racing.  Actually I was
thinking that it would be fun to have another car to race this season.
Thinking of what fun it was driving a Formula Ford at Skip Barber and
Bob Bondurant schools.  Thinking I don't know anything about FFs.
Thinking that heh, maybe the folks out there on the internet can help me
with some questions about vintage racing a FF.  I currently race a 1960
Triumph TR3A with SVRA, HSR and VSCDA, so I am well aware of what it
takes to keep a vintage English production car competitive.

1.  What are the most competitive FFs to vintage race?  Are certain
makes/models more competitive?

2.  Are vintage FFs reliable, or will I spend all my time fixing things?

3.  Are certain makes or models better handling?

4.  Do all FFs have Ford engines?

5.  Are there certain separate requirements for the Monoposto Register?

6.  Who are some of the better FF mechanics that in the Midwest?

7.  Are replacement parts rare (ie. expensive)?

8.  What should I avoid, or watch out for, when I go shopping?

9.  Who should I talk to that is an "expert" on vintage racing FFs?

Well that's enough foolish questions!  Hope to hear from all you FF
vintage racers real soon.

Jeff Snook
Battle of Britain Racing