Re: Introduction

To: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Subject: Re: Introduction
From: Susan <alfasun@esslink.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 17:18:31 -0500
Simon Favre wrote:

> John A. Rollins wrote:
>
> >Susan wrote:
> >>
> >> Well put, Jim. There's a place for cars like this. I think they call it
> >> SCCA...or something.
> >
> >Hey! Hey!
> >
> >SCCA's much maligned reputation may be somewhat deserved in the "sports
> >Rambo" classes and others like it (get it, "IT") but their Vintage
> >Program (which is the area WE are most interested in, isn't it?) does
> >not.
>
> I think Susan was trying to say that this car is SO new, it would be
> better off in some current race class, and not any kind of vintage car
> class.  If HSR has a Sports class for newer cars, and he's comfortable
> with their events, great.  The suggestion of Solo I is also appropriate.
> Time-trial events are a great way to get some seat time without the
> stress of wheel-to-wheel racing.  Solo II, or autocross is also a good
> way to get comfortable in the car at its low-speed limits.  I drag my
> Formula Junior out to autocrosses once in a while just for some cheap
> test time.  The Caterham is very well suited for autocrossing.
>
> Where the SCCA has a vintage program, they seem to put on well run
> events.  I'm not sure they would accept a 94 Caterham either.

Yes, Simon, that's exactly what I think. I don't particularly have
anything against Caterhams, novices, SCCA or whatever. Caterhams and
Lotus 7s are both neat cars, but, just like a Giulietta is VSCCA
eligible and a Giulia is not (and probably will never be), the line is
drawn, for better or worse. So we take the Giulietta to VSCCA, the
Giulia to SVRA. And the GTV6 to SCCA ITS, etc. etc. So the gentleman
should take his Caterham to the places you suggest.
What I, and many of us in VSCCA, object to is someone who brings out a
car for vintage that is either a complete fake being passed off as
legit, or is a model that clearly is too "new" for the rules. I disagree
with the person who contends that some vintage cars are allowed that
only consisit of a number plate with everything else new. It is my
understanding that if the organization (at least certainly VSCCA and
probably SVRA) gets an inkling of this, the car is not allowed to
compete unless and until further documentation and history is provided.
Those unfamiliar with the philosophy of VSCCA (we don't award prizes or
declare "winnners" based on lap times) may not realize the whole
reasoning behind all of this is to keep modern technologies from being
used on thirty plus year old cars. Not only can it be an unfair
performance advantage, but in some cases the stress of the new
components on the old chassis and other parts creates an unsafe
situation. (The Lime Rock event Labor day rules are different from
ordinary VSCCA events, since the event is put on by Lime Rock itself-
many people get confused) We must be doing something right, because
current VSCCA membership is larger than ever.
BTW, There's a movie called "Amsterdamned" with a Giulietta (or "old"
Giulia) Sprint throughout. Horrid, but worth it for the car.
Regards,