Re: Oil pressure physics

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil pressure physics
From: Dave <dwr@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:14:57 -0600
David Laver wrote:

> Reply to : Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
>
> > A larger sump only gives the motor more oil to play with. It also takes
> > longer to heat up the oil to proper temperature.  I was using Valvoline
> > Racing 20W/50, but switched to Mobil1 15W/50.
>
> What makes you choose one over another ?  The thickest synthetic I've found is
> from Sellina (Fiat) who do a 20W/60 for racing that should hold prssure
>better.
>   Anyone know about Motul ?  I've been warned off thick mono-grades by others
> with vintage cars.
>
> > The big danger of allowing the motor to overpressure the oil is that it
> > will leak everywhere, or burst something.  Too much oil on top of the
> > head could drown the valves, and make the motor smoke, or foul a plug.
> > Oil coolers are sensitive to overpressure.
>
> In which case it is going to have a regular sized sump, thermostat,  cooler,
> and an external and adjustable pressure relief.  I can always add a larger
>sump
> or another tank later on.
>
> > Lastly, a question:  Where is Phoenix located, and do they do cranks for
> > motors other than the British?  I've been wanting a billet crank for the
> > Fiat 1100 motor, but I haven't been looking that hard.  It runs OK with
> > a factory crank, but I do keep the revs down a bit.
>
> They also do one offs and are based in Slough just west of London.  Phone
> 01753-821-303.
>
> Thankyou for the advice - makes sense.
>
> David

Hi,

If you are working on a Fiat 1100 you should give Robert Rodgers at
Shade Tree Enginetrics a call at 972-771-0804.  He prepares 1100's for
Wainers, Stangulinis, Bandinis, etc..  He prepares the motors for my H
Prod Fiat 850 and 2.0L Formula Abarth.  He is great about offering
advice and you can also ship him stuff to work on and he will ship it
back.  He has shipped stuff all over the world.  He has had cars race in
the Milli Miglia and at Monteray.  They have a WWW Page at:

http://userpages.nkn.net/fiatdr/index.html

Dave Ricker
dwr@ix.netcom.com