Re: Oil pressure physics

To: british-cars-pre-war@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Oil pressure physics
From: David Laver <dlaver@morgan.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:21:37 GMT
Reply to : Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>

> A larger sump only gives the motor more oil to play with. It also takes
> longer to heat up the oil to proper temperature.  I was using Valvoline
> Racing 20W/50, but switched to Mobil1 15W/50.

What makes you choose one over another ?  The thickest synthetic I've found is
from Sellina (Fiat) who do a 20W/60 for racing that should hold prssure better.
  Anyone know about Motul ?  I've been warned off thick mono-grades by others
with vintage cars.

> The big danger of allowing the motor to overpressure the oil is that it
> will leak everywhere, or burst something.  Too much oil on top of the
> head could drown the valves, and make the motor smoke, or foul a plug.
> Oil coolers are sensitive to overpressure.

In which case it is going to have a regular sized sump, thermostat,  cooler,
and an external and adjustable pressure relief.  I can always add a larger sump
or another tank later on.

> Lastly, a question:  Where is Phoenix located, and do they do cranks for
> motors other than the British?  I've been wanting a billet crank for the
> Fiat 1100 motor, but I haven't been looking that hard.  It runs OK with
> a factory crank, but I do keep the revs down a bit.

They also do one offs and are based in Slough just west of London.  Phone
01753-821-303.

Thankyou for the advice - makes sense.

David