Re: Lotus TC motor

To: PaceCars@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lotus TC motor
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 11:35:27 -0500
Depends on who you're going to run with.  Real L blocks are increasingly hard
to find.   Weber heads in good shape are also hard to find.  Reproduction
heads are available, but I've heard some of them are "soft".  Stromberg heads
are not worth as much as they weren't used much on race cars...some people do
run them, though.

If you use a tall block and a stroker crank, you can build a "cheater" motor
with as much as 1700 displacement, but that's not usually in the spirit of
things.  This is easily spotted as you also need a spacer for the front
cover.

Asking prices for race prepared TCs are in the $10-$12K and up range,
slightly used race motors sell in the $8-$10K range.  If you start adding up
the parts, you can EASILY spend $10K on the parts to build one (crank, rods,
pistons, head work, flywheel, caps, bearings, oil pan, starter, etc. etc.
etc.)  Trust me on this...been there done that!!

I can strongly recommend contacting my engine builder, Al Burtoni - V-12
Engineering.  Built me a 190+ horse TC, stock stroke, legal, that went over
120 hours turning it to 9 grand!   Good enough to win the USRRC Seniors Tour
Under 2.0 liter GT championship for 3 years now!  Not cheap though.....weigh
the pros and cons of saving a few thousand over rebuilding more often.....if
the bottom end's not put together right, the rebuild costs approach the price
of a new engine!!!   You can reach Al at (408) 779-4026.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
Lotus Cortina #128