Re: Vintage Racing Dilemma

To: Vintage-Race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing Dilemma
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 11:45:22 PST
Well, I think you touched on a strong possibility right here.  If the
VSCCA in Australia is losing membership due to age, attrition, and
expense of pre-war cars, It would seem your only option is to start
admitting later cars.  Many people who are into Vintage Racing are in
more than one car club.  I'm in 4, counting the local Alfa club, which
doesn't really race.  If you want to preserve the low-key nature of your
events, and keep membership up, I would suggest theme grids, or theme
events.  One of the US clubs runs a Porsche-Alfa challenge.  How about a
Triumph-MG challenge?  You could keep your race format, and stress the
requirement for cars that are more original than the crop of over
prepared beasts frequenting other clubs.  This may bring out some cars
and people that simply don't care to go as fast as the others.  There's
a club locally called the Green Flag Driving Association that runs time
trial type events that offer 3 levels of competitiveness.

>Eligability over the years has been held to the stricter definition of
>vehicle such that, as I review a comprehensive list of current members'
>vehicles, the cutoff seems to be predominately 1930 with exception
>granted to T type MGs which were included many years ago as a sub
>register.

Exactly. How about an MGA register? A TR-3 Register? How about hooking
up with another local club and doing a joint event?