Vintage Racing Dilemma

To: Vintage-Race@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage Racing Dilemma
From: Bill5600@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:20:52 -0400
Dear Gary and Dick,

Your comments regarding Stock Cars in vintage road racing are well put. With
the exception of Hudson Hornets, I feel they should not be a part of the
vintage venue.

Most "Vintage Organizations" have a purpose statement in their by-laws to the
effect that they are to encourage the use, restoration, and preservation of
vintage sports cars. I own two pre war Riley sports cars that I would like to
race more often. Unfortunately there are few race meetings available that
schedule a class for these true vintage cars.  When organizations promote
modern stock cars at a 'Vintage ' event  and exclude racing cars of the pre
war era, I think that organization better rethink its purpose.

Many exceptional old racing cars have been retired to their garages because
of the inclusion of newer, cheaper, and faster cars  in their race group.
 Early juniors and 500cc formula III cars face this problem when gridded with
1600 cc formula II  and formula Fords. Remember when we would see a number of
 great sports racing  and GT cars of the 50's at vintage races. With the
exception of Monterey and damn few
other events  it's off to the Colorado Grand  for these great veterans.

Given a choice what would we rather see and hear at our races: 8c Alfas, 450
Maseratis, Italian Juniors, or a simulation of an modern  American sedan
advertising washing detergent, breakfast cereal, or gum scum?

Lost in the past,

Bill Alexander