Re: Vintage Opinion

To: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (James A. Isbell)
Subject: Re: Vintage Opinion
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:15:26 -0400
Why not run with whatever regional group runs Formula Fords?  At Mosport,
there's a strong contingent of guys who run 'club ford', essentially
non-current F-Fords.  Guys often run cars as far back as the mid 70's with
this group.  A friend of mine (Oliver Clubine - well known in VARAC and
vintage racing circles) has even run his Merlyn 11A in the Canadian Pro Ford
series.  I've run my cars, production type cars, in the local GT class and
had a lot of fun.  They may seem pretty aggressive but I've always had a
good experience.  You just have to know when to concede the corner, and not
fight for it.  This is usually a lot cheaper than out of town vintage
events, too.

On a slightly different topic, I've just brought home my new toy - 1965
Merlyn 6A sports racer 'kit'.  It's a kit because while it's pretty much
complete, it's completely apart and ready for re-assembly.  This was the
last Mark 6A ever built, and rumour has it that it was originally intended
to be a Mark 8, which was a V-8 engined sports racer.  It was converted back
to Mk6 spec at the factory when the original owner ordered it in 1965.  It
was sold without an engine, and ran the first season with a BMC Formula
Junior engine.  It now has a neat engine, that I really hope to be able to
use - a 1865 CC Martin three valve ford engine.  Any info or pictures that
any one has on Merlyn 6A's or Martin engines would be appreciated.

>This is what I meant when I threw fuel on this argument several days ago.  I
>dont care what they call my car, "Vintage", "Obsolete", "Lola", "George"  it
>doesn't make any difference.  But the cars of this vintage are worth
>preserving.  My Lola T540 is a very prety car and it is fun to drive.  I
>just want a place to drive it.  Call it "Ugly" if you want, just let me
>preserve it and run it somewhere, anywhere.

Brian Evans
Director, General Sales
UUNET Canada Inc.
20 Bay Street, Suite 1910