Re: More Vintage Race Questions

To: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: More Vintage Race Questions
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 12:39:43 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Mike & Jaye Rosen wrote:

> Gary wrote
> > Are 3 or 4, or even 9 or 10 year old "Nascar" cars "vintage"?
> >
> > Just wondering what others think about this...
> I feel the same way about the Formula 70 series for old Atlantic cars
> Mike 1958 VAY Canada Class Special

        Okay, I can't let this one go by. Let me say first that I'm not a
        vintage racer. I do drive a vintage sports car and autocross it
        from time to time. I am involved in vintage racing as a hobby/
        avocation. I photograph and write about events here in the midwest.
        Recently, I saw an event featuring late model NASCAR stockers at
        IRP. I have seen individual stock cars at previous events I cover
        and was disquieted by this all ex-NASCAR event. I hope it's not like
        the fabled camel's nose in the tent. I hope that eventually the
        camel doen't wind up in the tent while we are forced into the storm.

        There is so much NASCAR in whatever race coverage exists now, to my
        mind, it crowds out nearly everything else. I wouldn't like it to
        take up an increasing presence in vintage events. If we can't keep
        them out, hold them to the same "date" rules you adhere to. Have
        an "all stock car" race at a vintage event but only for stock cars
        built previous to 1972 or 62 or what ever. Keep them to that
        group so you Sprite drivers aren't sharing the track with the monster.

        Maybe I'm being elitist but, I missed the great days of road
        racing the first time around... I wouldn't want to get crowded out
        of its resurrection now...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois