Re: Vintage Race Dilemas...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Race Dilemas...
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (James A. Isbell)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:17:46 -0500
I have a problem with my car in that it is not vintage.  My car is a 1979
Lola T540 that was orriginaly a FF was then configured as SuperV and then as
Atlantic.  It is a car that is no longer competitive but not yet vintage.

I bought it two years ago with the prospect of it becoming vintage in just 5
years (CVAR was calling 1974 the cut off then)  If one year was added each
year it would be vintage in 1999.  But they changed the rules so now 1972 is
the cut off date!  At this rate it will never be vintage!!

The only class I can run in is called a non race class and includes huge V8
powered Mustangs and Corvettes.  Since it is non race that means I cannot
maintain my VMC license!

Its not safe for me to be in with the Corvets and Mustangs and other closed
wheel monsters.  I dont have the protection that they have and they cant see
me into the bargain.

So where do I race?  Well, Im outa here....Im off to the AutoX where its
safe until they find a place for me.

So did vintage racing lose another member?  Why?  There are alot of
inexpensive open wheel race cars such as the FF and FA laying around out
there.  They are not competative in modern SCCA and they are not defined as
Vintage, but there should be a class for them.
--
                                                            Jim

  "Better an outlaw than not free."
                         Nance O'Neil