Re: Race Liability Insurance

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race Liability Insurance
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 20:38:05 -0700
Here is the mad aunt in the cellar that nobody wants to talk about.

Scenario:
While racing, I do something really dumb and finish up T-bone'ing a nice
birdcage Maserati.
In doing so, I DNF the unfortunate driver who happens to have been the very
wealthy president of
VeryFast Airlines.
His family is not at all pleased with this result and sues me for everything I
own.

It seems that my normal homeowners policy does not cover this risk and my
insurance company is
not interested in extending my cover for this (hopefully vanishingly small)risk.

Several vintage race enthusiasts I have asked this question to have responded
with a shudder and
admitted that neither they nor driver they know carries this insurance and that
they (we) all
hope it can never happen.

Is this a real risk, or do the usual "racing is dangerous"  disclaimers have
any shielding value.
If it is a real risk, is anyone aware of any insurance companies who are smart
enough to
recognise it as a small, measurable risk and can therefore offer an inexpensive
policy.

--
Malcolm Cox, Napa, CA           malcox@napanet.net
Vintage Race MGA #80, 1960