Re[2]: piston to head

To: dlaver@morgan.com (David Laver)
Subject: Re[2]: piston to head
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 15:13:43 pst
     David:

     Our Triumph TR4 engines use wet liners which stand proud of the deck
     by about .003-.005.  I suppose there are several advantages for copper
     gaskets-

     1)asbestos free.

2)heat is transferred through solid copper better than a copper sandwhich
gasket.

3)99.96% copper and .04% oxygen copper is very suitable for head gasket
material and in the annealed state deforms very slightly under direct
pressure from torquing down the head.  Though I have not measured it after
the head is torqued- the compressed thickness should not be that much
different than in the uncompressed state possibly .oo1-.002 (these are only
guesses).  Sandwiched gaskets, on the other hand, are ment to be compressed
and can have burn out in thin areas especially in high compression heads.

4)Solid copper gaskets live longer and potentially could be reused after
cleaning and re-annealing.

5)Solid copper gaskets can be costumized for your specific needs including
oblate bore size.

6)Solid copper gaskets can assist in better coolant flow through the head.

I have made these gaskets in .020, .032 and .040 thicknesses.

BTW -I'm always looking to learn more about the subject- if you have recs let
me know.

Mordy Dunst
Gasket Works