Monterey Historics Report

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Monterey Historics Report
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:36:40 PDT
Well, this was my first time as a participant at the Monterey Historics.
I had been a spectator a number of times, and have been vintage racing
for 3 years now, but this was my first running at the Historics.  I was
sorry to hear that others had problems at other races the same weekend,
but I had a very successful weekend.  The weather was just about perfect
with a little fog in the evenings and early mornings, and sunny but not
hot during the days.  The car (the Bourgeault Formula Junior) ran about
as well as it ever has.  I've basically spent about a year recovering
from an engine blow-up, fiddling with this and that, and it finally
seems to be settling down.  The car ran every session, I didn't break
anything or hit anything, and I actually finished ahead of some cars
that were still running.  In my book, that's a major success.  ;=)

As for the wrenching, I only had to tighten some 6mm bolts to keep a few
very minor leaks in check, adjust the brake shoes after the 1st practice
session, and check my timing after each session.  The Fiat 1100 engine
is still having a problem with grinding down disty drive gears, but the
rate is now under control with a side-oiler, and polished gears.  I
still need to inspect it for wear now that the event is over.

The Track:

Laguna Seca has undergone a major resurfacing, and the turn 10/11
complex was changed.  The first time I came around 9, it was a surprise
to see 10 coming up so soon (EEK!).  This was during a lead-follow
session run by the Skip Barber school, so it wasn't at full speed.  I
have driven at Laguna before, but not in that car, and not since the
latest changes.  Bottom line:  I LIKE IT!  There seems to be more runoff
around 10, and 11 is definitely safer.  There used to be nothing but the
nasty old wall to teach you where 11 ended.  Now there is an ample dirt
runoff area that several drivers tested.  Nobody hit the wall.  These
changes also included more paddock space.  There are white rumble strips
that can be (and were) used by many cars on the exit of the turns.  The
apexes are marked by red/white alligator teeth that will rattle your
bones.  The shut-down markers seem well placed.  In the absence of
better info, turning in on #1 works well enough.  The new surface seems
to work quite well, tho once oiled, it can be slick.  It also seems like
they took a bit of the crown out of the entrance of 2.  It used to have
enough crown that if you were too far to the outside, you were off
camber.  It seems a bit flatter now.  I found myself side-by-side with a
competitor in 2 and we both made it thru.

The View:

Being a driver, I had access to the hospitality area overlooking Turn 1.
This affords a view of large areas of the track.  From one spot, you can
see the cars crossing start/finish, or leaving the hot pit, all the way
around 2, most of 3, the exit of 4, all the way to 5, and then coming
down the hill from 9 to 10.  Whew!  I got a few pictures of cars heading
toward the Dunlop bridge, looking straight down that leg of the track
from 3 to 4.  Unfortunately, being a driver, I had better things to do
than stand around taking pictures all day!  I used less than half the
amount of film I would have as a spectator.

The Cars:

Never mind that BMW had such a major display of cars.  There were 4 Alfa
Romeo P3's there!  We didn't have that many P3's in 85 when Alfa was the
featured marque!  I think one of the P3's went on to win in the pre-war
GP group.  There were two T33 Stradales.  Incredible cars.  Never mind
the Millia Miglia winning 328's, the hit of the BMW parade was most
definitely the BMW micro-car.  ;=)

The Parties:

I have to hand it to Steve Earle on this one.  The amenities were first
class.  Thursday night, we had a reception at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
It's fascinating seeing some of the tanks lit up at night.  Friday night
we had a $20/head bbq as a benefit for a local charity.  The evening
entertainment was provided by the Kingston Trio.  It turns out that Nick
Reynolds, the guitar player, had actually raced my car!  I knew he raced
a Formula C that Bourgeault built for him, but did not have confirmation
that he drove my car while waiting for the C.  He stopped by in the
paddock and told me all about it.  I also got his autograph on the flyer
for the bbq.  That's the best part about owning a one-off car.  People
keep coming out of the woodwork to tell me stories about the car or its
builder.  The driver hospitality area also had a very nicely catered
lunch on Saturday and Sunday.  My wife commented that all vintage events
should be like this. (She didn't have to do all the paperwork to get in!)

The Races:

Oh, yeah there WERE some races that weekend.  There was very, very
little carnage, even by Historic standards.  I don't think any permanent
damage was done.  One pre-war car lost a wheel, and proceeded to run a
lap and a half before responding to the black flag!  =:0  I saw one 356
Porsche with a creased door, but that was about it.  There were some
celebrity drivers present.  Stirling Moss had a great pitched battle
going only to lose out to a lesser-known competitor.  Brian Redman
pulled off a great come-from behind victory in the FIA/Can-Am group with
Nelson Piquet coming in 4th.  For the most part, the racing was clean,
the track was great, and everybody there had a whale of a time.  Next
year, Porsche will be featured.  The Hun hordes are upon us!  ;=) I had
heard Alfa was going to be featured in 97, but this is not the case.  I
have no info on 1998.  Still coming down from the adrenaline high, Ciao.