Re: [TR] Earls Court TR5 (CP20LO) now in USA?

To: ptegler@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Earls Court TR5 (CP20LO) now in USA?
From: John Macartney <John.Macartney@Ukpips.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 20:38:51 +0000
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
References: <14DEDF84-7121-4112-BB70-C6B6B89A511D@gmail.com> <CAPK7CFC5SfVpQFbDGmbv9C-c48z7vUiLVWX7XeOvTDrBXgCmwQ@mail.gmail.com> <641214F0-C01D-49FA-AC29-82C73F39CDFB@linneyweb.com> <CAFtw3aZJkBGdSY2Zt1X67Lct56s2SgRKqNJ4gfpZvJvFejmh0g@mail.gmail.com> <A42515CF-6D47-49DA-928F-F9A1EA1CE92D@Ukpips.org.uk> <B9E460CC-181B-4E3D-A145-7F877A79AD4C@Ukpips.org.uk> <88862198.784036.1615830297038@mail.yahoo.com>
--===============5194769829164864238==
 boundary=Apple-Mail-577E01EF-8A46-4E23-A200-F701F6E1DA22

--Apple-Mail-577E01EF-8A46-4E23-A200-F701F6E1DA22
        charset=utf-8

Thank you for that vote of confidence. I was one of the people who used to r=
esearch owner provided data to issue those certificates and although I never=
 signed the buyer copy, the three of us who did that work, never authorised a=
ny certificate if there was even the slightest doubt about authenticity of o=
wner provided data, or the data could not be triangulated. However, I left B=
MIHT some twenty years ago so have no idea (or interest now) in what may hav=
e happened in later years. I still incline to the view that the early TR5 be=
ing offered for sale is either a =E2=80=9Cringer=E2=80=9D or the seller is m=
aking a claim that cannot be substantiated.

Jonmac

Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest intenti=
ons.

> On 15 Mar 2021, at 17:44, ptegler@verizon.net wrote:
>=20
> I have little to no faith in Heritgage Certs.... had an aquiantance reciev=
e a cert with invalid info.
> As a test he submitted a flat out bogus number an they gave him a cert for=
 it!
> rubbish.
> Now perhaps they had/have vaild records at one time, or for a particular s=
eries of vehicles...but twice now on two different lineages of cars, the inf=
o printed on the cert was just crap thrown on paper for the $$
>=20
> ptegler
>=20
>=20
. =46rom the info on the certificate, it=E2=80=99s clear it was built for a n=
amed customer in Denmark and supplied under Standard Triumphs Personal Expor=
t Scheme which I worked within for several years. Cars built for display at a=
ny international motor show were identified very clearly on the build record=
 and sales invoice as =E2=80=98motor show car=E2=80=99 and this would have b=
een picked up by BMIHT staff when interrogating the microfilmed records. It=E2=
=80=99s also worth mentioning the company would never have used a customer c=
ar for exhibition display at any show such as those which were as prestigiou=
s as London, Paris, Frankfurt, Geneva or New York. A show car? Not in my boo=
k, though the person whose name appears on the BMIHT document might have bee=
n in England FOR the show but his car on the main or Liverpool stands AT the=
 show? No way - unless someone can come up with documentation to prove me wr=
ong. I wouldn=E2=80=99t touch it with that claimed or alleged history but no=
 doubt someone with more money than sense will swallow the bait and pay way o=
ver the odds for a TR5 that could well be a clone. Too often in life, things=
 are not always what they seem and in my view this car fits that category.
>=20
> Jonmac=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest inten=
tions.
>=20
>> On 8 Mar 2021, at 22:06, John Macartney <John.Macartney@ukpips.org.uk> wr=
ote:
>>=20
>=20
> What many people fail to realise is that motor show cars are very differen=
t in many ways to the normal production version. For a start, the paint fini=
sh received detailed attention and were often resprayed several times to giv=
e the paint a =E2=80=98deeper=E2=80=99 appearance. Engine blocks were a shin=
y black, as were hoses. Body and door shut lines underwent considerable work=
 and door shuts themselves were silky smooth in operation and quiet to opera=
te. This was always difficult to achieve on the Herald, GT6 and Spitfire as c=
losing most doors on those models mostly sounded like putting the lid on an e=
mpty trash can. Every night after show closure, the carpets, seats and door c=
ards in all cars were exchanged for new ones and any faults or problems repo=
rted to the Stand Manager during the day were rectified. Knobs, switches, le=
nses that had been stolen or damaged through clumsy removal were also replac=
ed. Leaking or non functional hydraulics were replaced as well and there=E2=80=
=99s a moral here. NEVER buy a car that has done a stint as a display vehicl=
e at a ten day motor show. It will have gone through hell in that time and E=
ngineering always studied reports of how the cars had held up during the sho=
w. Theft, attempted or actual was by no means unknown and one day a man wear=
ing a pair of white overalls was actually caught trying to remove a Herald d=
ifferential!!! It happened on a Saturday when you could hardly move on the s=
tand because of the crowds. Car =E2=80=98ride heights=E2=80=99 were often ra=
ised a little to allow for the daily punishment of people of various weights=
 collapsing into cars on a crowded stand. This did little to give seats a ge=
ntle life! Mostly, this was achieved by temporarily fitting all cars with he=
avy duty tropical suspension for the show duration. Doing this meant there w=
as nothing like the amount of =E2=80=9Cgive=E2=80=9D found in a car that was=
 conventionally sprung.
>=20
> Was the motor show experience enjoyable? If you like standing on your feet=
 from 09.00 to 22.00 without somewhere to sit down, for ten days solid in an=
 unhealthy atmosphere that gave everyone flu and talking to people who mostl=
y bored you witless and were often less than polite, eating the same outside=
 catered lunch and no chance of a quick beer, I suppose it might have been. T=
he truth was, it wasn=E2=80=99t. We all had to wear dark, tailored three pie=
ce suits (bought at our cost), starched cotton shirts with turned back cuffs=
 and a detachable stiff shirt collar and sober tie. Shoes had to be polished=
 like a guardsmans boots, clean finger nails, immaculately clean and parted h=
air and heaven help you after a day attired like that if the Stand Manager d=
etected even a tiny whiff of halitosis or sweat. Yes, I will admit we, Stand=
ard Triumph=E2=80=99s public face, looked good and perhaps we had a little v=
irtuous pride in ourselves - but to this day, I=E2=80=99ve yet to meet any c=
ar company employee or salesman who knew as much about his/her product AND t=
he same level of detail of every other make and model of car that competed w=
ith us. To this day and well over fifty years later, I=E2=80=99m still amaze=
d how much I can still recall.
>=20
> Jonmac
>=20
> Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest inten=
tions.
>=20
>> On 8 Mar 2021, at 19:07, Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> I don't believe the suspension was raised.  Might appear taller as TR5 ti=
res were skinnier 165, vs. 250 on wider 185/70, or just new springs riding a=
 little high.
>>=20
>> Greg Lemon
>> TR250
>>=20
>> On Mon, Mar 8, 2021, 12:29 PM John Linney <john@linneyweb.com> wrote:
>> Lovely car. Did they raise the ride height from the TR4 / 4A? It looks a l=
ittle high.
>>=20
>>> On Mar 8, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Don Hiscock <don.hiscock@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Friends in NL have reported that a superbly-restored TR5, the original L=
HD car from the 1967 Earls Court Motor Show premiere, has been sold to the U=
SA and is now in the midwest.
>>>=20
>>> Anybody know the car?  It's said to be a pretty special TR, and I'd prob=
ably agree.  My first car in life was a TR250, unrestorable given my budget,=
 skills, and marque support at the time.  But today -- I wish I still had it=
!
>>>=20
>>> Here=E2=80=99s the sales ad:
>>> https://www.jbclassiccars.com/?portfolio=3Dtriumph-tr5
>>>=20
>>> Note the comments about the car's original Swiss-specifications and the s=
tuff around engines.  Jonmac, this makes us smile to think about your effort=
s in this area back in the day.
@verizon.net

--Apple-Mail-577E01EF-8A46-4E23-A200-F701F6E1DA22
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Thank you for that vote of confidence. I wa=
s one of the people who used to research owner provided data to issue those c=
ertificates and although I never signed the buyer copy, the three of us who d=
id that work, never authorised any certificate if there was even the slighte=
st doubt about authenticity of owner provided data, or the data could not be=
 triangulated. However, I left BMIHT some twenty years ago so have no idea (=
or interest now) in what may have happened in later years. I still incline t=
o the view that the early TR5 being offered for sale is either a =E2=80=9Cri=
nger=E2=80=9D or the seller is making a claim that cannot be substantiated.<=
Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest intenti=
ype=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">
ritgage Certs.... had an aquiantance recieve a cert with invalid info.<br>
As a test he submitted a flat out bogus number an they gave him a cert for i=
t!

r series of vehicles...but twice now on two different lineages of cars, the i=
nfo printed on the cert was just crap thrown on paper for the $$</div>

ize=3D"2">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: John Macartney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:John.Macartney@Ukpips.org.uk";>Joh=
n.Macartney@Ukpips.org.uk</a>&gt;<br>
To: Greg Lemon &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:grglmn@gmail.com";>grglmn@gmail.com</a>&=
gt;<br>
[...]

 The only man who entered Parliament with honest intentions.</div>

lt;<a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" ymailto=3D"mailto:=
John.Macartney@ukpips.org.uk" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mailto:John.Macartne=
y@ukpips.org.uk">John.Macartney@ukpips.org.uk</a>&gt; wrote:<br clear=3D"non=
e"><br clear=3D"none"></div>

[...]

mazed how much I can still recall.</div>

 The only man who entered Parliament with honest intentions.</div>

<a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" ymailto=3D"mailto:grg=
lmn@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mailto:grglmn@gmail.com";>grglmn@gma=
 TR5 tires were skinnier 165, vs. 250 on wider 185/70, or just new springs r=
iding a little high.

9 PM John Linney &lt;<a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" y=
mailto=3D"mailto:john@linneyweb.com"; target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mailto:john@l=
rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
ght from the TR4 / 4A? It looks a little high.<br clear=3D"none">
 noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" ymailto=3D"mailto:don.hiscock@gmail.com"; target=3D=
"_blank" href=3D"mailto:don.hiscock@gmail.com";>don.hiscock@gmail.com</a>&gt;=
 wrote:</div>
ed that a superbly-restored TR5, the original LHD car from the 1967 Earls Co=
urt Motor Show premiere, has been sold to the USA and is now in the midwest.=

 to be a pretty special TR, and I'd probably agree.&nbsp; My first car in li=
fe was a TR250, unrestorable given my budget, skills, and marque support at t=
he time.&nbsp; But today -- I wish I still had it!</div>
<a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" target=3D"_blank" hre=
f=3D"https://www.jbclassiccars.com/?portfolio=3Dtriumph-tr5";>https://www.jbc=
lassiccars.com/?portfolio=3Dtriumph-tr5</a><br clear=3D"none">

iginal Swiss-specifications and the stuff around engines.&nbsp; Jonmac, this=
 makes us smile to think about your efforts in this area back in the day.</d=
iv>

** <a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" ymailto=3D"mailto:=
triumphs@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.tea=
onate: <a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" target=3D"_bla=
nk" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html=
</a><br clear=3D"none">Archive: <a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shap=
e=3D"rect" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"=
r noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/a=
rchive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none"=
arget=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john=
@linneyweb.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john@linneywe=
m.net">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **<br clear=3D"none">
ank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.htm=
l</a><br clear=3D"none">
Archive: <a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" target=3D"_b=
lank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.team.net/pi=
permail/triumphs</a>&nbsp; <a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"=
rect" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team=
.net/archive</a><br clear=3D"none">
arget=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grgl=
mn@gmail.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.co=
m</a><br clear=3D"none">

ect" ymailto=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" href=3D"ma=
ilto:triumphs@autox.team.net">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **</span><br clear=
oopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team=
.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br clear=3D"non=
e"><span>Archive: <a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape=3D"rect" tar=
get=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.te=
am.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> &nbsp;<a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" s=
hape=3D"rect" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://=
none"><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer" shap=
e=3D"rect" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/t=
riumphs/john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/=

"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>tri=
hape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear=3D"none">Archive: <a shape=3D"rect=
" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/pipermail/triumphs </a> <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.tea=
m.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear=3D=
"none"><br clear=3D"none">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ptegler@verizon.net" target=3D"_b=
lank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ptegler@verizon.net</a>=

--===============5194769829164864238==--