Re: [TR] TR3A low mounted 3rd brake light??

To: "'Triumph car discussion Sports'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A low mounted 3rd brake light??
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:43:42 -0800
> I had also thought of that approach as well but I am not sure
> the way
> Dan Masters systems wires the flashers if I could make it
> work.

Should be absolutely no problem.  The turn signal wiring actually doesn't
change at all; the only change is to add a second filament in the turn
signal bulbs/lamps and to run a new wire from one of the brake lights to
both of the new filaments.

I did do it on my TR3A.  In order to keep the turn signals visible with the
brake lights on, I used the dimmer of the two filaments for the brake lights
(which makes them basically invisible when the turn signals are on).

In retrospect, I think a better way would be to add a pair of relays instead
of changing out the turn holders.  (Or, you could use one of the 3-wire to
2-wire trailer converters, which are basically two relays in the same box.)
That would allow a single bright filament to function as both turn signal
and brake light, just as it does on many American cars.

Plus if you like, you could power the outer brake lights from the same
relays, making them flash for turn signals.

Only downside I can see is that it would take a new wire to the rear
(carrying power to be switched to the turn/brake bulbs), and you might need
to change the flasher if it is a load-sensitive type.

But this also supplies the brake light relay that Geo mentioned, which IMO
is also a good idea.  Not long after I started trying to make my brake
lights brighter, the original brake light switch burned out and then two
replacements each failed within a year or so.  I dealt with the problem by
converting to a mechanically-operated brake light switch (ala late TR4-4A)
that was rated for a high-center light, but the relays could be hidden
better than my switch was.

The other thing I might do when I have a TR3 to play with again is to put
some of those ultra-bright LEDs (the ones that warn not to look directly at
them) into the turn housings.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net