RE: [TR] TDC....or is it?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TDC....or is it?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:29:13 -0800
> Installation of the converted distributor requires that the engine be at
> TDC. When I pulled the distributor, I did it as follows: Removed the
> distributor cap to watch the rotor, pulled the #1 plug to watch the piston,
> rotated the engine until the timing mark/pointer where on zero. At this
> point the rotor was also pointing at the #1 terminal on the cap and the
> piston looked to be at the top of its stroke. Is this TDC or could it also
> be on the exhaust cycle?

Perhaps some clarity about terms is in order here.  Anytime the #1 piston is at
the exact top, that's TDC on #1. Since these are 4-cycle engines, that means
there are two TDC events per cylinder firing.

So, what you are looking for is #1 to be on TDC between the compression and
power strokes, rather than TDC between exhaust and intake strokes.  Assuming the
engine ran before, having the rotor point to #1 tells you it was between
compression and power (which is where the spark occurs).

Note that it's not totally un-heard of for the timing mark to not be accurate.
If perfect accuracy is an issue, then you may want to verify the timing mark
using a piston stop.  But for TBI, I can't see why that would be an issue.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org