[TR] hardened valve seats - do I need them?

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] hardened valve seats - do I need them?
From: "Chris Simonsen" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:19:28 -0500
I check the adjustment on the valves of the TR4 once a year or so.

One or two need a minor adjustment most times, never much.

I do not have hardened valve seats and drive the car close to 5000
miles a year (Lucky!!!).

I basically never use the fake lead addititive. I know I should :(

Am I lucky?  Do I have weak valve springs?

What happens if the valve receeds too much?  Does it make the head unrepariable?

Just wondering if I should follow the if its not broke don't fix it
rule  or tear the head off this winter and have it done.

Thanks

Chris

64 TR4 (with an underside that resembles the la brea tar pits - only
drippier - at least I know where the oil goes when I'm not
parked.....)
54 TR2 (sleeping with an oily engine)

===     http://www.vtr.org