Re: [TR] hardened valve seats - do I need them?

To: "Terry R Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] hardened valve seats - do I need them?
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:47:11 -0000
The *lead memory* on all 4 cyl wet liner engines and the 6 cyl ones as well,
suggests that putting in hardened exhaust valve seats is impractical until a
top-end overhaul is necessary. Even then, if the valve clearances (lash)
show no signs of closing up, then leave well alone. If you're doing a major
top-end overhaul, hardened seats could be sensible but I wouldn't have them
fitted just for the sake of it. I did this myself a few years ago and it was
a waste of time - and money, I think :)

My 02p's worth

Jonmac

===     http://www.vtr.org