Re: [TR] TR3A Valve Cover Seal

To: terryrs@adelphia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Valve Cover Seal
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:46:03 EDT
In a message dated 10/2/2006 6:24:09 PM Central Standard Time,
terryrs@adelphia.net writes:
> Rebuilt the engine and it runs like a top.  Only trouble, it has a big seep
> from the valve cover gasket.  I tried Justin's silicone gasket, but it seems
> to be too long to fit the cover, and it seeps.  I tried the cork gasket
> installed dry, and it seeps, but I've shrunk from the notion of putting
> gasket
> sealer down because pulling the cover to adjust the valves could wind up
> with
> bits of cork finding their way into the lifter holes.

Many folks use sealer on one side only.  Usually the cover side so the gasket
comes off with the cover.  I like to seal the gasket to the block.  That way
the gasket will: 1) help hold the cover's shape rather than sliding off the
head when the nuts are cranked too tight and the cover deforms and 2) give the
oil a slightly better chance of  falling into the head recess instead of the
head outside.  If you look at the valve cover you will see a ridge running
along
the inside of the gasket mating surface.  Oil running down the inside of the
valve cover will drip off of this ridge and onto the inside of the gasket.  If
the gasket is sealed to the head it can't escape via the gasket/head
interface.

BTW most valve covers leak because the nuts have been overtightened and the
cover is tweeked.  So avoid the urge to keep tightening ina n attempt to stop
the leak.  (I learned that from this list so it might be bogus) <G>

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org