RE: [TR] how to guide - replacing TR6 wood dash?

To: "'Lanoway, Brian'" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] how to guide - replacing TR6 wood dash?
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 16:17:25 -0400
 Brian,
I put one of their dashes in about 7 years ago and its a beautiful piece of
"art". Pulling the wood dash isn't a big deal but it is time consuming.
Basically, you need to disconnect and pull the tach and speedo (and trip
reset button). The only switch that's usually a problem to remove is the
Rheostat. You may end up breaking the knob if it's never been off before.
Check your glove box support arm to see if it's screwed in to the metal dash
and remove it. Remove the screws on the face of the old dash and you can
pull it forward to access the center gauge cluster. These gauges also need
to be removed. Installation is the reverse....but more nerve-racking as you
won't want to damage the beautiful finish he puts on his dashes! From a tip
standpoint: 1. If you ever thought about replacing the crash pads or
heater/demister hoses, this is the time to do it. 2. Label and clean every
connector/wire you disconnect & draw pictures of where they hook up 3. When
tightening the face screws on the new dash, do them slowly and in a cross
pattern and 4. I had to use some wood shims between the wood and metal dash
around the glove box door to get a nice flush fit. You can't just tighten
the wood dash to the metal dash and expect it to line up perfectly.

I highly recommend Prestige as the fit, finish and quality of their dash is
outstanding. I'm always getting compliments on it.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org