RE: [TR] Harness TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Harness TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:16:26 -0700
> In a message dated 6/21/2006 9:12:44 PM Central Standard Time,
> tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> > If that is the correct explanation, then you have the wrong harness !  On a
> > TR3A, there is no wire from the wiper switch to the fuse block, as the wiper
> > switch grounds the terminal on the wiper motor.
> >
> But in that case the green wire would go to the wiper motor, wouldn't it?

Yes, exactly.  That's what I was trying to say before.

A little more research has shown me yet another variation in wiring
diagrams/harnesses.  When the self-parking wipers first came in, a green wire
ran from the fuse block to the wiper motor, and then from there to the stop
light switch.  This is shown in the 4th edition of "Practical Hints", and is the
way TS39781LO was wired at the factory.  But the 6th edition of "Practical
Hints" shows the stop light switch getting it's power directly from the fuse
block, rather than from the wiper motor; and hence has 4 green wires at the fuse
block.

I suspect this is the source of the confusion, Alex's car apparently had the
older harness but his new harness uses the later variation.  Unless extreme
originality is important to him, it should work just fine.

I'll try to scan the diagram from the 6th edition later today.  If anyone would
like a copy, let me know.  Should be less than 1/2 Mbyte, PDF format.

I'd like to know when this change happened, so if anyone knows whether their
TR3A has 3 or 4 green wires at the fuse block, please let me know your
commission number.  I'm guessing it happened at TS60k, but I'd be happy to be
proved wrong.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org