Re: Swapping out Strombergs for SUs

To: cairnsbk@sbcglobal.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Swapping out Strombergs for SUs
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:30:53 EST
In a message dated 12/21/2005 3:56:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cairnsbk@sbcglobal.net writes:

I'm  contemplating replacing the 175CD Zenith-Stromberg carbs on my '74 TR6
with  HS6 SUs.  My main reason for doing so is that, as many of you  might
guess,  adjusting those blasted Strombergs is a pain and word on  the street
is
that the SUs are a good deal easire to  tune/balance/adjust.  Those who have
done this conversion, please let  me know if you feel it was worth it.

Well, this should be interesting
- there are folks that think Strombergs are junk and you should go with SUs
- and there are folks (like me) who can't imagine why you'd think the
Strombergs are a pain to adjust.
I've got 4 running (most of the time) Triumphs with 2 Strombergs a piece -  I
find that, once functioning properly and adjusted, I don't need to touch them
 again for months or years.
The word on my street is that you'd better find the SUs easier  to adjust
because you'll be adjusting them a lot more often.
I've never observed any middle ground in a Stromberg vs SU discussion and I
suspect everybody favors which ever one was on the first Triumph they ever
worked on - i.e the one they are most familiar with or have the longest history

with.

Cheers
Jack Mc

===     http://www.vtr.org