Re: caliper brake piston rust prevention

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: caliper brake piston rust prevention
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:56:30 EST
   D'oh! Thanks Andy, absolutely no offense taken... You are right! The cup
within the brake piston itself isn't exposed to fluid (normally!) and could be
painted to protect against rust. The main concern would be high temps. Those
pistons are responsible for carrying a lot of heat away from the brake pads. On
the street, I bet they hit 300-400F sometimes. On the race track, they can
get a lot hotter. Maybe POR15 would hold up (I can say for certain that it's
more resistant to heat from welding than most other paints).
   All in all, I still think stainless steel pistons are the best solution.
   Alan Myers
   San Jose, Calif.
   AMfoto1@aol.com
   http://www.triumphowners.com/640
Hey!  Would it be a smart thing to apply POR-15 to only a small part of  the
caliper brake PISTON'S (on only the inside of the cup-like bottom) as  this
spot is so prone to rust but yet doesn't touch  anything?
==AM==
No offense to those who have replied to Paul's question already,  but....
    If he's saying what I think he's saying, I don't see how brake fluid
normally will come in contact with the area he suggests painting, which is
the
inside of the piston -- the part that faces and presses on the pad. There's
no
fluid contact there, right?
- --Andy Mace

===     http://www.vtr.org