TR4 status and ZS question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 status and ZS question
From: "Randy&Val DeRuiter" <deruiterville@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:06:45 -0600
Hello again-

I'm a happy camper tonight as I was able to get my 64 TR4 up and running for
the first time in about 7 years - other than liberal use of Marvel mystery
oil in the cylinders, making sure I had oil pressure, and replacing a dried
up fuel pump it went pretty well.  Sort of.

The problem I have is on the ZS carburetor side.  The rear carb started
spewing gas out of the fuel chamber vent when I first tried to get it
started.  I solved that in true shade tree fashion by sticking my finger
over the vent hole and I was happily rewarded with a pretty reasonable
running engine with about 70-80 psi cold oil pressure before I shut down for
the night.  That made my wife happy as she was holding the fire extinguisher
the whole time in case things got out of hand (I only had about 100 cc of
gas feeding the whole thing which was the reason for being cavalier).

I'm assuming my problem is a stuck needle valve or bad float which allows
fuel to flood the carburetor - but I wanted to ask the list if that sounds
reasonable.  I really didn't want to break apart the carbs - if the needle
valve is just gummed up from old fuel, has anyone had similar experiences
and can recommend something to feed into the carburator to degum it?
Concentrated injector cleaner or something similar perhaps?

Thanks,
Randy.

===     http://www.vtr.org