RE: HELP: TR-6 Oil Light on

To: "shrack04@netzero.net" <shrack04@netzero.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: HELP: TR-6 Oil Light on
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:30:23 -0800
> Gets stranger.  The lamp is still on with the single wire to the sender
> unit unplugged.  (The gauge does read zero without the car running)
> However I noticed the BRAKE lamp wasn't lit.

That should be impossible.  The oil warning light gets it's power through
the brake warning lamp (according to Dan's schematic for a 72 TR6).  I think
some DPO has messed with the wiring in this area; or perhaps there are
multiple shorts near the oil warning lamp.

>  So, I pulled the SINGLE
> wire to the DOUBLE prong PDWA sensor

That part is correct.  I don't know why there are two prongs on the PDWA,
but they are wired together electrically.  I guess it's for
redundancy/reliability.  Anyway, when the PDWA is activated, it shorts both
prongs to ground.

> and the oil light went out.  I
> plugged the wire back in and  the BRAKE light came up bright, the
> ignition light was bright, but the oil light was dim.  When I started
> the car, they all went out.  Anyone have a clue on this one?!!!!

I'm going to theorize that your PDWA has been activated for a very long time
(remember as I said before, once activated it requires mechanical
intervention to reset), and that some DPO has altered the wiring to get the
oil light to work the way it "should".   Otherwise, if the PDWA was not
activated, then plugging or unplugging it's wire should make no difference
at all to the lights.  It's normally an open circuit.

Sounds like it's time for some diagnostic work with an ohmmeter/DVM.  Here's
a snippet from Dan's schematic that might be helpful.

One other thought ... is there any chance that the brake warning lamp and
oil warning lamp have been switched in the holders or whatever ?  I'm not
familiar enough with a 72 TR6 to know if that's a silly suggestion or not.
But it would put an entirely different complexion on the problem.

Randall

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of 72
TR6 oil & brake warning lamps.gif]

===     http://www.vtr.org