Re: TR250 Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR250 Questions
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:28:22 EDT
Hi Bill,
   Intermittent switch and rheostat problems such as you describe are often
just some build-up of corrosion or oxidization inside the switch, which might
happen if dust gets inside, the car's been used little and/or stored in a humid
area, or sometimes just to be ornery.
   Radio Shack sells a spray that's called "Color TV Tuner Cleaner and
Lubricant". This can be really useful getting switches and rheostats working
again.
Might help with some of the problems you are having, even the "dead" switch
and rheostat. Try it, but be a little careful about getting overspray on
surrounding surfaces. It usually isn't harmful, but who knows... might damage
paint
or make plastics/vinyl look cloudy, etc.
   There are some much more expensive products like Stabilant an Deoxit that
I've used inside camera electronics, to clean up very fine switches and
circuitry. These are available from places like Micro-Tools
(http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/deox.htm). But, I'd try the Color TV
Tuner spray first since
it's widely available and a lot cheaper. Incidentally, in the past I've used
WD40
for this sort of thing, but working on cameras have learned that it's almost
sure death to small circuits and fine mechanisms.
   I would imagine the dash light problems are similar, but instead I'd look
for bad grounds from a little corrosion or oxidization. That's not uncommon.
I'm not that familiar with TR250, but most Triumphs seem to "share" a common
ground for most dash lights. It's best with grounds to pull them apart, clean
up and reinstall. A fine grade of 3M artificial steel wool can be useful for
this sort of cleaning (*not* real steel wool, which sheds bits of steel that
rust and promote more corrosion). That's available at many paint and hardware
stores.
   Let us know what you find. Enjoy!
   Alan Myers
   San Jose, Calif.
   '62 TR4 CT17602L
Howdy all.  Well, it's been two days, and I already have a list of
questions.  Any input would be welcome and appreciated!