RE: TR3A Spare tyre escutcheon thread size?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Spare tyre escutcheon thread size?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:23:42 -0700
> I need to run a tap through the threads of the spare tyre cover before
> mounting the new escutcheons. That screw seems to be a 44 thread, and
> approx. a size 6? Almost looks like it falls between a 6 and an 8. Even the
> fancy tap & die set at work doesn't have it. Anyone know for sure what size
> it is so I can try to track down a tap at Mcmaster Carr or someplace?

They are British Association (BA) threads, you won't find a tap at MMC or
anyplace general like that.  Here's a few that probably do have it :
http://www.britishtool.com
http://www.samstagsales.com
http://mdmetric.com/britcut.htm

Sorry I don't recall the BA size offhand and I don't have time to check at the
moment.  I did a write-up once on all the "weird" threads on a TR3, but can't
seem to locate it at the moment. If you don't find it by the weekend, write me
off-list and I'll measure.

Randall