RE: TR4A Front Bearings

To: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>,
Subject: RE: TR4A Front Bearings
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:13:46 -0700
> When "packing" the bearings with grease, do I also need to fill the
> cavity within the hub with grease?  If so, how much roughly?

Definitely do not fill them full, as the grease will expand when hot and be
forced out to get on the brakes.  Some references recommend filling the hub
cavity halfway, but IMO it only needs enough to be sure it doesn't rust.  My
usual procedure is to leave well enough alone inside the hub, and just clean and
repack the bearings themselves.  On assembly I first work as much grease as
possible into the roller cage (so it squeezes out the opposite side); then
butter the outside with as much as it will hold.  Some of that obviously gets
squeezed out into the hub when assembling, which I think is just enough.  At any
rate, I've never had a wheel bearing failure, and changed front bearings only
once or twice in over 200,000 miles.

>  Will Moly
> B grease be just fine or do I need some special type of grease?

I'm not familiar with "Moly B", but IMO the only special requirement (for a
modern NLGI #2 grease) is that it have a fairly high "drop point".  I use a tub
of stuff advertised as "high temp disc brake bearing grease" from Sta-Lube,
which is rated 450F drop point ... but I just noticed that the grease in my gun
(also from Sta-Lube) is rated for 500F <g>

Most likely, what you have is fine.

Randall