Hub felt seals

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hub felt seals
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:07:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I know this has been covered before, but I can't quite get the info I need from
the archives.   After changing wheel bearings and felt seals on my TR6, I drove
it for a few miles then opened it up to check that all was well.  The felt seal
was completely destroyed.  I'd read that there was a thickness issue with these
seals and wonder if it's been resolved by our major vendors.  Although I'd just
installed these seals, I bought them a few years ago.  I have a bunch of used
ones I can install (if I can find them) but I've always been in the habit of
installing new  seals each time I pack the bearings.  Any positive experiences
with the seals that are now available?  Is there a better solution?   I'll be
complaining/ordering new seals Monday but can't see going through this again as
I'd like to button this issue up until the next packing.

TIA,  Charlie   74 TR6     71GT6