Re: unshaken gearbox cap

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: unshaken gearbox cap
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 19:26:37 -0400
> How does one remove the metal cap under the gearshift knob?  It is the
> uppermost part of the gearbox (through which the gearshift emerges).  I've
> removed the three small screws and I've tried prying and twisting with a
> pipe wrench, to no avail.
>
> Thanks, Paul Dorsey
> 60 TR3A

Paul,

I had the dicken's own time of removing this from one of my transmissions, a
not so bad time from the other.  I used power blaster, followed by alternate
heat/cold/heat, more power blaster, and days of waiting.  While I got the
thing off, I wound up with big pipe wrench grip marks in the steel of one.
As Dave Massey said, patience, patience, patience.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  (Body not all off anymore!  ...Albet still mostly is....  Whoo hoo
anyway!)
New Hampshire, and thinking of going to my first Triumph Thing in
Connecticut this September 11.  Why not, I'd must flown into Dallas, TX for
a conference on that other September 11, and had to drive 36 sleepless
straight hours back to New Hampshire with a team of five nutritionists the
following Wednesday:  try eating a hot dog in front of THOSE guys!  ...Six
people, and nobody had gas in our Ford van.)