Re: Cleaning Guages

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Guages
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:19:29 -0800
If I remember correctly, which isn't very likely, I used two of those rubber
band wrenches - Harbor Freight calls them Boa Wrenches, you can see them at
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39898

Then I blew off the dust and sprayed with Pledge since someone on the list
recommended it. Works pretty well. I tried cleaning the plastic things in
the windows, but apparantly that didn't work well. I rigged up a few extra
bulbs and the gauges are still dark. I think if I take them apart again,
I'll replace the window things with pieces from a transparency for an
overhead projector, that is if I can still find one. It wouldn't be
translucent, but then maybe that's a good thing.

Bob

> > I would like to clean my gauges before re-mounting them in my TR3A.  I
> > cannot figure out how to remove the bezel and the glass to get at the
face
> > and underside of the glass.  Any suggestions?
>
> Sometimes, you can grip the chrome bezel firmly (one of those rubber
things
> they sell in stores to help open jars would probably help) and turn it so
> the tabs line up with the slots.  But most often, you have to gently bend
> the tabs up first and then twist.
>
> Once it's off, you'll probably want to replace the black sealer between
the
> chrome and the glass.  Someone posted a good tip on some sort of putty
that
> supposedly works well, but I can't find it at the moment.  I just use
O-ring