RE: TR6 stuck head-request for help

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 stuck head-request for help
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:26:09 EST
Shawn,
To release rusted together TR6 head from bolt I would try using some heat
(propane torch with MAPP Gas etc) on head casting around the rusted bolt (don't
heat bolt directly - in fact, icing it can help increase temp differential and
fracture rust connection). Since it's a corner you should be able to put flame
on it from couple sides (feathering the heat from trouble spot to surrounding
head somewhat so as not to cause too extreme a local temp differential within
casting) that and more PB Blaster as it boils out during this process - then
some back and forth shaking at rear of head or light banging with a heavy
mallet on back end of head trying to turn whole head back and forth to break
the
rust connection on bolt. It's gonna take some sweating - on both you and your
parts part.. and lots of PB Blaster and maybe 2-3 attempts, with a day of rest
in between! Good to keep in mind you want to break the rust connection - and
nothing else.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

I've run into a problem removing the head on my TR6 and have run out of
ideas.