Re: Stromberg probs

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Stromberg probs
From: Dale VanCleef <dalebonn@netnitco.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:53:32 -0600
Wow.  This is great!  This should keep me busy for a while.

>I agree with Jim, for $900 your mechanic should at least be able to tell you
>why it doesn't run right !  Legal action may be required here.  If they
>didn't fix the problem, you should get your money back.  Did the engine run
>OK when you picked up the car ?

I'm not sure that he is capable of getting it right.  The car did run
better when I picked it up it was warmed up.

>By 73 the US-spec engines were tuned pretty lean, so weak ignition is a
>definite suspect, IMO.  Your PO didn't by any chance change the coil ?

The PO could have changed just about anything.  He had installed an
electric fuel pump which was not up to the task.
I'll order a new coil tonight.  BTW, I have replaced the fuel pump with
an OE mechanical one.

>73-on TR6 take a different coil than all earlier Triumphs, since they have a
>ballast resistance built into the wiring harness.  The wrong coil could be
>the problem.  And while I don't think it's the problem, it couldn't hurt to
>invest $10 in a set of new spark plugs, JIC.  It's sometimes possible for
>spark plugs to glaze even when they're almost new, causing all sorts of
>strange symptoms.

I'm going to give it a complete tune up before I continue with the carbs.<>

>Try disconnecting and capping the line to the brake booster.  A failed
>booster can be a hidden intake leak.  WD-40 is more controllable when
>checking for leaks by spraying at the suspected leak point (although granted
>it's also messier).  I don't recall offhand what the PCV system looks like
>on a 73, but it might also be worth disconnecting and capping it's vacuum
>line(s) as a test.

I will give this a try.

>Have you checked the fuel pressure ?  (Temporarily tee a vacuum test gauge
>into the fuel line)

No I haven't.  I will do this too.  The mechanic says he did.  But, at
this point....

>Is the engine warming up properly ?  (cold engines require choke)

I wondered about this too. I have purchased a new thermostat.  I will
install it when I do the tune up.

>Do the carb pistons rise (and more importantly fall) smoothly when lifted by
>hand ?  Do the dampers have fluif ?

Even though the mechanic rebuilt the carbs.  Keeping fluid in the front
one requires daily attention.

>Is the timing set to about 10 degrees BTDC with the vacuum retard
>disconnected ?  (Yes, I know that's not what the book says, but it's the way
>to get the engine to run right.)

10 degrees BTDC it will be.

>And needing choke to run does NOT
>necessarily mean it's a carburetion problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
--
Dale