RE: after changing bearings and such (TR3A)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: after changing bearings and such (TR3A)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:41:57 -0700
> > >I thought I'd have more pressure at idle. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Remove, clean and inspect your oil pressure relief valve.

Couldn't hurt to do it again, after the rebuild ...

> > Other possibilities :
> >
> > There have been reports of defective new oil pumps.

Yes, I would consider your hot idle pressures to be quite low, for a freshly
rebuilt engine and 20W50 oil.  Mine carries more than that, and it's
seriously worn.  Pressures that low won't hurt anything, it's not like the
engine will blow up due to lack of pressure, but I think it does indicate
some aspect of the rebuild that was overlooked.

> > Worn cam bearings

I'd have to say this is looking most likely then.

> > External oil feed to rockers
> > where this is located. What should I be looking for.

Moss et al sell a kit ... it's basically a braided line that runs from a
bolt on the side of the main oil gallery (just in front of the fuel pump) up
to a bolt on the back of the head.  Puts a lot more oil into the rocker
shaft, which leaves less for the bearings.

> > Oil contamination by fuel
> > and probably more that haven't occurred to me yet.

I was thinking more of a leaking fuel pump diaphragm, or possibly a leaking
float valve allowing fuel to run into the intake manifold with the engine
not running.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: