Re: Timing marks on a TR4

To: "McRuss" <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing marks on a TR4
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:40:22 -0700
Russ,
Did you check the location of the marks with the position of the crank? I
thought I didn't have any holes in my pully at all until I discovered one
way far from TDC. Turns out that it's lined up with the #2 plug. I don't
knkow how that happens, but if I put a timing light on the #2 cylinder, it
lines up well and verifies static timing done the conventional way.

Just a though,
Bob

> I finally got the distributor installed correctly, a DPO had it 90deg out.
Althoug it ran fine, the firing order was a bit weird, something like 2,1,3
4.  Anyhow, that's done.

> I have two sets of marks on the crankshaft pulley, the TDC mark/hole and
two close together that I assume (bad thing to do) is the 4 deg advance
mark.  But with it set to those marks it does not run as well as it did
before I undertook this whole prodject. The book would have me utilise the
little vernier mechanism to time it but I'd rather do it with a light and
the pointer IF I knew where 4 deg btdc is.

> Any suggestions?
>
> PS, I changed up to 20w50 oil and it holds 50 lbs on the highway, idles at
35 now.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: