Re: Spitfire Differential Swap - HELP!!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Differential Swap - HELP!!
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:46:18 -0400
On 3 Jun 2004 at 20:39, Chad Jester wrote:
> I need to change the differential in my Spitfire.  It is possible to
> pull the stub axles, and remove the "pumpkin" from the differential
> housing while it is still mounted in the car?

I see that Joe C already answered yes.  But I wonder, Joe, if you
noticed the key phrase "from the differential housing".  It seems
Chad wants to crack the diff case open with it in the car, not just
remove the entire thing without having to pull the axles off.

Indeed, it is possible to pull the entire diff out easily.  As Joe
said, you do have to pull the road spring bolts and the large cross
bolt.  If the cross bolt (whatever it is called) is rusted in you may
have to cut it out with a hacksaw blade, rather hard work.  But
otherwise pulling the diff is easy.

Perhaps Joe will disagree but I don't see how you can do any diff
work without pulling the rear section out.  Unlike some other LBC
diffs, the works are in the rear section.  You could maybe split the
front off but everything you really wanted to get to would still be
in the car.  Don't know how hard it would be to reassemble that way.
Seems like it would be less work just to pull it out whole in the
frist place!

Just my $.007.

--
Jim Muller