RE: Sway Bars

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sway Bars
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:14:32 -0400
I got my Addco from JC Whitney about a decade or so ago.

I called them again a few years back to see about getting another one for a
friend.
They would NOT tell me what the manufacturer was.  Only that it was for my
car and what the price was.

Yes .. it was substantially cheaper then anyone else.

I think back when I got it .. it was like $80 with shipping.
Victoria British was selling it for at least twice that amount . . . and
that was on sale.

As always . .  Randall is absolutely right about the variables that affect
the "stiffness" off the swaybar system as it is applied to the car.

The material and diameter will determine its torsional spring rate . . . but
how long the torque arms are and how they are attached to the suspension can
make a difference too.

I think Richard Good has the right idea about using spherical rod ends (heim
joints?)  for the connection to the suspension.
The parts of the suspension that the links are attached to aren't moving
straight up and down .. they are going in an arch.
So you are spending some energy bending the torque arms of the bar in
directions other than what the sway bar is intended to do.
Particularly under straight ahead braking or acceleration condions.
Don't know how much effect that has . . .but it does sorta make sense in my
mind.  (which isn't to say I'm right of course)

I also like the idea of adjustable sway bars . .. which is essentially being
able to grab the torque arms closer to or farther away from the center axis
of the bar.
Longer arms = less stiffness (or force transferred from one side of the car
to the other)

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 Everyday