RE: Microsoft Truck, the TR3a and other thoughts (longish)

To: "'David Templeton'" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: RE: Microsoft Truck, the TR3a and other thoughts (longish)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:47:55 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
David,

Alondine follows the acid etch; it is a "conversion coating" that in
reality corrodes the surface of the metal about 1/2 to 11/2 mils deep.
One can buy both the etch, which is high grade phosphoric acid, and the
alodine at any really good auto type paint store.  Dupont makes an etch.

Etch the metal, instructions should be on the bottle, with a diluted
mix; keep greasy little finger prints off, then alodine.  The final look
should be one of translucent "shimmery" gold. If it goes brown you have
smutted the surface, and will have no adhesion.  Etch off and start
over.  If the water/alodine mix is warm it will go off very fast, and
the more you have roughed the surface, the faster it will go off.  DON"T
let it dry on the metal; keep running water handy.

I replaced the side panels of my T6 with new ones from surplus Canadian
Harvard Mk.4 inventory that had been hot alodined to mil spec.then
painted with nothing more than 60's era enamel.  I thought I was going
to have to grind the paint off.  Even using the very best mil spec
aircraft stripper on earth, it took me days.

If you cannot find the alodine, I have some in powder form that may
still have some potency.

I suspect your alloy is 6061 T6; 1/16 is about .062, and that is thick
stuff.  The normal method of doing something like this is to get O
(either 6061-O or 2024-O)(dead soft), bend and then heat treat.

Good luck with your future in chemistry.

Gene