RE: oil pressure

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: oil pressure
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:17:15 -0700
> Would it not be safe to assume that ANY brand name oil would be of better
> quality (at least in so much as impurities and viscosity) then
> was available
> when these engines were designed?

Well, perhaps, except that "impurities and viscosity" are by no means the
only important characteristics of motor oil.

> I too have had oil pressure suddenly inexplicably drop to panic inducing
> levels, I put it down to dirt in the system and immediately
> changed the oil,

When it happened to me (years ago on a non-LBC), changing oil did not help.
There was clearly a thin, sticky coating on the pressure relief valve, which
could only be seen if you scraped it off, but enough to keep the valve from
closing under it's own spring pressure.  Of course I can't prove that was
due to using Castrol ... but I switched brands and never had the problem
again in 32 years.

Randall