Clutch Options for 1296 Spit-Problems

To: spitfire@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Options for 1296 Spit-Problems
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:29:55 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Guys,
Trouble in Paradise, Woe is Me and all that Rot!!!!  The Fidandsa aluminum
flywheel and Tilton clutch are in the 70 MK3 Spit.  At first it seemed OK,
grabbed great and laid some rubber with both tires finally getting some use out
of
the limited slip diff.  After taking it down the street and running thru the
gears, practicing a couple of launches, and annoying my neighbors again she
developed a real bad noise.

I am going to say that something is up with the throwout bearing/carrier or
hydraulic system but that is only a guess.  All is well in neutral but when the
clutch is engaged the bearing is a little sick sounding, when you rev the
engine with the clutch in she starts screaming and lurching forward.  Obviously
major malfunction. It sounds real bad like something is grinding, vibrating
and getting torn to shreds.

The installation was not exactly straight forward since the Tilton clutch was
around 7/16" shorter than a standard Spit clutch.  Therefore a longer carrier
had to be machined and installed to reach.  The standard Spit bearing was
used.  Tilton instructions call for at least a 3/4" bore hydraulic system.  The
Master on a Spit is only 5/8'" and I would assume the slave is too but I am not
sure on that.  I did try to bleed the system again but it did not help.

OK, plan B.  I knew I was in trouble when the difference in the clutches was
discovered. Way too far into experimental stuff here.  I almost feel like
dropping back 5, punting and just sitting back for a while but maybe someone
can
help.  I hear a Pinto clutch may work in a Spit. Then again I hate to give up
on this Tilton without a fight.  It was cool to lay rubber for a total of four
or five times.

Feeling Lousy,
Darrell