Re: check out this honda site. really.

To: Triumph Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: check out this honda site. really.
From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@covad.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:14:53 -0500
Dave Massey wrote:

> Message text written by "John Peacock"
>
>>Not so.  I have taken my Z28 from 287rwhp to nearly 350rwhp with less than
>
> $1000.<
>
> Let's see,   287 to 350 hp is a 22% increase.  For that kind of money you
> can take a TR6 from 102 to 150 HP or a 50% increase.  My point is that a
> lot of what is done to the TR6 is already done on a modern car.  I'm
> talking about head porting, better flow in the intake and exhaust, higher
> compression.
>
> Dave

You're not going to pick up 50% by simply porting and polishing. You'll need a
cam, probably different valves, mill the head, etc. You're not going to simply
slap the old bearings back in. Are the original pistons suitable? Maybe, maybe
not. What about head service?

What other old parts are you not going to take a chance on? The crank needs to
be inspected and polished, and possibly ground. The block needs service, at
least cleaning and honing. And on and on. One doesn't boost HP by 50% and slap
the old parts back in. At least not with any expectation of the engine
surviving.

Now you're out of money and the engine is in pieces. If you're like me, you
don't have enough skill to reliably build a high performance engine. So, you're
stuck with the engine shop finishing the job. $1000? Not around here.

I want to live where you live. There are only three shops in this area
(Chicago)
I would trust with a Triumph engine. $1000 might, just might cover the standard
engine service doing the bottom and top, honing, head service, etc. This
assumes
that I supply all the parts at my cost (over the $1000) and absolutely nothing
goes wrong or needs additional work.

I could have the same done to an GM V8 for $1000. In fact, I can walk into any
of 25 shops around here and pick up a very hot Chevy V8 for $1200 plus my core.
The engine would be warranted for 6-12 months, etc., etc.

Would I bring my foreign engine to any of the reliable, reputable shops? Not in
a million years. Although a performance straight 6 is not much different than a
performance V8, you'd be amazed at how badly a Chevy shop can (and will) screw
up a foreign performance engine. You'd think it would all be the same, an
engine
is an engine. This is not the case.

The moment you say Triumph, Mercedes, Alfa, etc., their eyes glass over. The
only straight sixes these guy ever see are out of trucks. These are the heavy
duty, low rpm, high torque units like the Chevy 292. Trust me. You do not want
these guys touching your engine.

My question is always "How many (insert name here) engines have you done". The
usual answer is "We've done straight sixes before."

To quote another lister, Bzzzzzt! Wrong!

An engine is not an engine is not an engine.

Andy Litkowiak