Re: check out this honda site. really.

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: check out this honda site. really.
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:22:21 -0400
> I *hate* the forum-based sites. The search functions mostly don't
> work, the navigation is difficult, they invented a whole new email
> infrastructure ("private messages") ... and *I* have to remember to go
> *there* to see if anything has changed, instead of the news coming to
> my inbox.

I am not a fan of forum based sites, as I too find them inconvenient, but I
took think the above points are dated views.

The search functions are typically limited because the forum administrators
impose character limitations on them to curtail rampant abuse or excessive
use.  While I love team.net, our archives have their own set of search
limitations as well.

Private Messages can be annoying, but also limit the amount of spam that
might otherwise reach you.  If your email address were publicly available on
most forums, any spam-crawler could add you to a database.  At least the
private message hides your identity somewhat and limits the potential for
spamming.

Most forum sites allow you to pick and choose threads for which you would
like to receive email updates when something changes.  If you start a
discussion of your own, most likely by default, you will receive a
notification when a post has been made in reply to you.  Visiting the site
is still inconvenient though and I too prefer to have stuff just come into
my inbox with no delays or extra effort required to visit another site.

Forums also allow for the posting of images within a discussion, without the
potential threat of viruses (unless someone wants to get really really
creative).  This is one of the most convenient features of website forums.

Automated polls are also another interesting feature.  For stuff like "Who
uses a B&B clutch in their TR6?" this stuff is great for automating the
process without having to individually count "yes", "no" and "well I have a
B&B friction plate with a Sachs clutch cover, so I am in between"

As a traditionalist, I still prefer email based mailing lists.  Or perhaps
it is appropriate that since we are interested in relatively old cars that
the technology and concepts of communication that we utilize also remain
rooted in the past ;-)

Kai